Embracing the Wildness Within
I had a meme come up on my feed and it got me thinking how we seem to have lost touch with the wildness within us.
We shy away from the acknowledgment that we are not part of nature, part of the animal world, we fight against this, thinking ourselves higher than all else around us.
By ignoring this we have lost touch with the connection of all that is around us.
Do we suppress this because we fear this side of ourselves, the wild animalistic side?
This is so as we are afraid of our darkness so it makes sense that we are also afraid of the animal nature inside of us to.
However as we must face our darkness or shadow, so to must we accept and acknowledge our animal.
We are curious about this side of ourselves, look to the folktales, myths and legends from over the centuries where we tell stories of werewolves, mermaids, and shapeshifters, half human half animal creatures.
Yet we will suppress it within ourselves.
Why not give into the curiosity and unite with the animal side of ourselves, let it reign free for a time?
How do embrace the wildness within?
Firstly acknowledge the animal inside you.
- Spend time in nature, go hiking, swim in the ocean.
- Play with your pets.
- Eat with your hands.
- Laugh until you cry.
- Roll in the grass.
- Unplug from the internet & TV.
- Observe your surroundings.
- Pay attention to your five senses.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Take a bath in an outdoor spring, creek or river
- When it’s raining, go outside and let yourself get wet.
- Drink earthy teas such as mushroom tea, green tea, chamomile, etc.
- Use less words — speak through body language, grunts, squeals, giggles.
- Walk around barefoot.